When you smell bacon cooking, it just does something primal to that inner carnivore. If I wake up to the smell of bacon, I’m likely floating down to the kitchen from bed on a cloud of bliss like a Looney Tunes cartoon. As if the promise of mere bacon isn’t enough, there’s this version which may change the way you eat bacon forever! If the three S’s are your thing…savory, sweet and spicy…this recipe is for you!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the YouTube channel and click the bell to be notified when new videos go live every Thursday!
Trust me, you want this.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- Cayenne pepper or Berbere (to taste)
- Fresh black pepper (to taste)
- Cookie sheet
- Metal cooking rack (or foil if you don't have one)
- Tongs or fork
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- You’ll need a cookie sheet with some kind of rack to allow the grease to drain. You can always cover a cookie sheet with foil and poke slits into it if you don’t have a rack.
- I’m using 6 strips of bacon and laying them across the rack.
- Sprinkle a little bit of brown sugar along the length of the bacon strip.
- Then rub into the bacon to distribute it evenly. If you’re looking for candied bacon without the heat, this is as far as you’ll need to go.
- If you’re looking for a spicy kick to balance the sweetness, grind from fresh black pepper over the bacon then give a sprinkle of either cayenne pepper or berbere which has cayenne and fenugreek and tastes like maple.
- Put it in the oven for 7 minutes making sure to start keeping an eye on it at the 5 minute mark.
- When the brown sugar has melted, take it out of the oven to sit for about 2 minutes to set up.
- Then give the bacon a flip and repeat the process on the other side with the brown sugar which will melt a little on the warm bacon, cayenne and black pepper.
- Put it back into the oven for 5-7 minutes or until the desired texture is reached.
As the bacon cools, it will get slightly stiffer and easier to handle.