When I was a kid, I had no idea what twice baked potatoes meant. Why the heck would you have to bake them twice? Well it’s twice as nice, that’s why! This recipe has a microwave shortcut that will have you eating this fancy pants side dish in no time! Let’s get baked!
- 2 large Russet potatoes
- 2-3 tbsp cream cheese (I use 1/3 less fat)
- 2 caramelized onions (see video here: https://youtu.be/rJjITmFgSEQ )
- 2 tbsp Asiago cheese
- 1 tbsp milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash potatoes and poke with a corn cob holder or fork to allow steam to escape.
- Microwave for 6 minutes.
- Cut the potatoes in half and when cool enough to handle, gently scoop the insides into a bowl leaving about 1/2" of potato around the sides.
- To the bowl of potato, add the cream cheese, caramelized onions, salt and pepper and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Add a tbsp or two of milk until you have the consistency of thick mashed potatoes.
- Scoop the mixture back into the potato shells and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Place under a broiler in the oven until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
Shared with Home Stories A to Z